Thursday, September 13, 2012

First Day of the Internship

My first day started out far from smooth but overall it turned out to be a great day. I arrived at the front steps of the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) building as I had discussed with my supervisor prior to nine. The walk was beautiful, I had a short walk from the GW dorms to the OFAC building and I have an amazing view since I walk past the Old Executive Office, The White House, and the Treasury building.

I kept looking at my watch and saw 9 go and come and I began to become paranoid. I called my supervisor's number and no one answered and then I began to doubt myself on what I had discussed previously with my supervisor. Luckily, one of her coworkers came to get me and had told me she was stuck in traffic. The amount of security that a person has to go through in DC is ridiculous, to amount of security needed to enter a government facility is beyond crazy. Once I was inside I received my ID and was taken up to the Licensing Department floor and introduced to everyone. I felt very fortunate for my internship and was slightly worried that I'd become a person associated with the stories of internships and how there was a possibility that I could become a staple pusher and a coffee run girl. I was excited to see that I'd actually be able to analyze licenses and write some and be able to incorporate some of what I've already covered in my courses in my work. I was settled into my office with another intern who currently is a third year law student at Villanova Law School. Overall it was interesting to see that only five students were selected to intern in the Licensing Department and I was the only Undergraduate student.

Once my supervisor came in we spoke briefly about Arizona, since she's an ASU alumni, and spoke about my future aspirations. She gave me some work to overview and that very first day I was assigned my very two first cases. So overall the day didn't start smoothly but it did end extremely well. Having never worked a nine to five job, overall the experience is very different. My favorite part of my internship would be the fifteen minute walk to and from work as I walk past The White House.

No comments:

Post a Comment