OFAC does a remarkable job at promoting and creating connections. The intern that I share a room with as I had stated previously attends Law School currently as do most of the other interns on the OFAC floor. This gives me a great opportunity to get to understand and know what Law School is like and see if it truly is something that I want to pursue. Not only am I surrounded by current students but my supervisor is also an attorney and has already given me some great advice.
The OFAC floor held a breakfast the other morning to allow the rest of the interns to get to meet and know one another as well as allow the other licensing officers to get to meet and know all of us as well. It was overall a fantastic opportunity and I left feeling much more confident about my time at the Treasury and interning in OFAC. Not only was I able to meet with some of the other licensing officers but we were given the opportunity to talk and meet with the Director and Assistant Director. Being in a new city that I had never been before it was also great to get to meet some locals and hear some advice. Overall I am very pleased with my internship, the work has fluctuated from mundane to incredibly difficult but I have learned a great deal and also have learned how much the Treasury Department deals with in regards to Terrorism files and such. It is very comforting knowing though that my supervisor has an open door policy as does everyone else on the floor so that if I come to a difficult issue I can always approach them.
The Treasury Department creates lectures and trips to visit locations in DC for all the interns that are currently located there and I am very excited to be able to see and do more in the DC area.
I've got to say, this internship sounds incredible. The security situation sounds insane. The most my national guard internship ever did was an armed soldier that waved me through at the gate with a glance at my badge. It's not a difficult stretch to assume that D.C. buildings and occupants are a tad higher profile. What kind of segues into regular employment are associated with this kind of internship program? It seems that this kind of gig comes laced with career benefits and unmatched networking opportunities.
ReplyDeleteI've got to agree with Ryan, I couldn't imagine how many networking opportunities must be presented to you. Working in D.C. is pretty much the pinnacle of networking opportunity. Has it been as beneficial as we would assume?
ReplyDelete