Thursday, September 13, 2012

Who I am & Where I Intern

I feel incredibly fortunate to have be given such an amazing opportunity to be an intern in the U.S. Department of Treasury in the Office of Foreign Assets Control for a semester. It's given me a great and rare opportunity to leave my comfort zone of Arizona and experience something new in Washington, D.C. 

My name is Leonor and I am currently a Junior studying Public Service & Public Policy. I am always used to having to explain to people what exactly my major is when I tell them but one of the greatest experiences was having a phone interview for the position at the Department of Treasury with my now presiding advisor and her absolutely love my major and tell me how it's such an ideal major for anyone that wants to work in the Treasury Department. 

All the classes that I've taken and everything that I've had to study has, in my opinion, prepared me adequately to work in the Licensing Department for the Treasury Department. I am excited to see where I end up at the end of my internship and how much of a difference my career goals will change. 

3 comments:

  1. That is really cool you got to get out of Arizona and experience government at the Federal level, in D.C. I would love to live in DC and have a really fulfilling government job.
    I too find myself having to explain what my major is. I usually just say Public Policy and most people understand that, but some always ask for a description. By now I am used to this and I just expect to give a description when someone asks me what my major is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leonor! According to one of my leadership professors, stepping out of ones comfort zone leads to true development. It is only when we step out of our comfort zone that we challenge ourselves and learn what we are truly capable of. Therefore I think this experience was useful in countless ways.

    Also, I often find myself having to explain the PSPP degree, not surprisingly people seem to think I am interested in politics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An internship like yours in Washington, D.C. is an incredible opportunity. As I'm sure has been said many times, stepping out of one's comfort zone is a tough thing, but the rewards are great. How did you come across this particular program?

    ReplyDelete