Saturday, November 24, 2012

Activities in DC


This past week I was able to attend a very fun event in Washington DC. I attended the Congressional Baseball game on Thursday. It was a lot of fun and it gave me a new insight to all of our representatives. It was nice to see a side that wasn’t them in suits or them having arguments on the hill. It was also incredibly interesting to see them play on that particular day, the day the democrats had a walk out and the day that the Affordable Care Act was seen as constitutional by the Supreme Court. Whether the representatives were focusing on those particular things throughout the game it was not noticeable. Being amongst the crowd though, that is an entirely different story. The seats had been split one side of the baseball field ended up being for republicans and the other was for the democrats. It was very interesting to be a part of the large crowd of people. You had people cheering for both sides and when things began to get very stressful in the game you could hear the democrat fans stating that they needed another win for the day. Coming from a very red state such as Arizona it was interesting to be among a large group of democrats. It was also very fun to just sit and watch a baseball game in DC. The only thing that I had to complain about the whole game was that it had to fall during a week day and I ended up leaving at around the 6th inning because of work the next day and I could not stay for the whole game. When I had left the democrats were leading and it was crazy to see that their pitcher could really pitch. Some representatives that were playing either had played baseball in school or on an outside team of some sort or were just doing it for fun but you could automatically tell which representative had played baseball before and that made it really fun and interesting. Normally I’m not a huge baseball fan but it was a lot of fun to watch representatives play at a charity game and be with friends that were having fun with it too, not to mention receiving a lot of free items such as hats made it worthwhile… especially being a poor college student and all.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a fun experience. Not the typical experience you would think of during an internship and certainly not something you think of when you think of our Federal government and the people involved. Sounds like you had a lot of fun that day. Too bad you had to leave early.

    ReplyDelete