Saturday, November 24, 2012

My Major Ties

I have found that many of the courses that I have taken within my majors have allowed me to understand and properly do my job in the licensing department as a intern at the Treasury Department. Having majors such as Public Service & Public Policy and Global Studies really make my placement in the Office of Foreign Assets Control a great fit. My courses such as my Contemporary Policy Challenges, which focused on evaluation and creation of policy has really helped me with writing licenses and evaluating requests. My primary work at OFAC requires that I evaluate and create licenses surrounding sanctions in other countries specifically Iran and Cuba. These can range anywhere from licenses for athletes from sanctioned countries, to museums collecting artwork, to property transactions. My required Persuasive Writing Course has been a large component to my everyday work, writing a license or evaluating a request for a license requires a lot of analysis and much of the writing I had to do for the course revolved upon analysis writing. My Thinking Globally course introduced me to new countries and customs and in many of the requests for licenses revolve upon cultural antiques and needs to bring to the United States. These requests help me realize the world outlook and the types of people that are in the United States. Overall I feel that almost all of my academic studies have contributed and helped with my internship work. It has also allowed me to feel much more comfortable with my work and allowed me to grasp why each topic that was covered in class was necessary and important for future work.

1 comment:

  1. I can relate, a lot of my courses are interrelated and help me come to a broader understanding of things. Your internship sounds amazing, I wish I could have had a similair experience!

    ReplyDelete