There are many pros and cons to working in a government agency and during a holiday.
Firstly it meant the 4th of July was off and I got lucky and my supervisor gave me that 4th and the 5th off unlike most of the other interns that were with me in D.C. in Capital Scholars. That was the exciting part, the not so exciting portion was that I had to finish a large amount of cases in order to enjoy this luxury.
From the Monday morning I stepped into work the intern and I that shared the office kept receiving a new case about every thirty minutes. If there was any time to be grateful for being able to multi-task and get work done in an efficient manner it was then. The process is interesting. My supervisor sends us cases through the online software and it is our responsibility to get through as many cases as possible. In many cases it is our responsibility to print out the work, analyze and make comments and then upload our new documents to send back to her. What's not mentioned is that in most cases the specific case can be up to 10 pages long and involve over five types of documents that are supplemental.
Once the documents are received by our supervisor she must look over them and sometimes she either asks us to edit a few things or she asks us to send it on to her supervisor to finalize the case. Leading up to the 4th of July, I had never hated a 9-5 job quite as much as that particular day. I would go to get lunch in the cafeteria and bring it back and work the entire time. When it was finally the 4th of July, I thoroughly enjoyed my break.
No comments:
Post a Comment